Let’s break up with single-use period products… they never loved us anyway
Globally, women use and throw away 45 billion pads and tampons every year – and Kiwi women use 11,000 – 17,000 single use period products like pads and tampons in a lifetime.
The down-side of plastic-heavy period products isn’t just the impact on our planet either … tampon use is associated with Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS), especially as tampons can cause microtears in the lining of your vagina which let germs in – and many tampons contain nasty dioxin bleach. Pads contain synthetic fragrances which are associated with negative health effects (see our blog post about this) and as much plastic as a supermarket shopping bag!
Then there’s the cost of buying single use products – a lifetime supply of 11,000 – 17,000 pads and/or tampons will reach a total cost of $16,000+. The monthly financial burden is even heavier for households with teenage daughters.
THERE’S A NEW WAY TO MANAGE YOUR FLOW
HOW DOES PERIOD UNDERWEAR WORK?
In short, super easily! You slip them on and … that’s it! They have a soft inner layer to wick moisture away from your skin, then an absorbent layer, then a waterproof layer, then the outer layer of the underwear fabric. Ta-da! Comfort, style and reliability. Super easy to wash, just give them a quick cold rinse when you take them off, then wash them as normal in your washing machine. (No fabric softener though okay, it impairs the absorbent fabric technology.)
Reasons we love period pants are:
- So reliable – the 100% waterproof layer means no worries
- So comfortable and stylish – they look just like normal undies and the absorbent layer is very thin (very slightly thicker than a normal bikini)
- So perfect for a good night’s sleep – no leaks, no lying on your side, no loo breaks at midnight
- Ideal for teens – nothing to insert, no hygiene risk, no leaks and no worries
- Super for sports – jump, leap, run… period underwear have you covered. In fact, women often wear these undies when running long distance even if they aren’t on their period as they help stop sweat rashes
- A beautiful option for incontinence and ‘laugh leaks’ if your pelvic floor is a little weak right now
- Soft and snuggly option for post baby mumma’s … you can even chill them in the freezer for extra relief
- Period undies make travel so simple! No urgent roadside stops at dodgy loos, no sneaking double wrapped tampons into your host’s bin, just easy wear-and-go technology!
HOW MANY PAIRS DO YOU NEED?
An average period is 30-50 mls over an entire cycle of 3-7 days. A pair of period underwear from I am Eva or Modibodi absorbs as much as two regular tampons. That means that over a normal cycle you would use 4-7 regular tampons or pads (fully soaked), or 2-5 pairs of period underwear (but hey, these get washed not thrown away!)
If you have a heavier flow on some days, or you just want extra-extra-extra reassurance that you are protected, you can pair your I am Eva underwear with a menstrual cup or eco friendly tampons – we’re ALL about you feeling good about how you manage your period!
WE WANT TO SWEETEN THE DEAL
Have we got an offer for you! Buy a cycle-worth of I am Eva undies and we will add a free wet bag for extra convenience when you are away from home or on heavy days at work! Just swap, stash and carry on!
WIN YOURSELF SOME I AM EVA TOO!
Just comment below with a reason you would like to try period underwear and you will be in the draw for a prize pack of three pairs of I am Eva period underwear (in your size!) and a small wet bag…
You’ll be set for a 100% natural and waste free period!
T&CS: NZ and AU residents only, competition ends midnight 22nd September.